When we moved here for med school, we were blessed to find some amazing friends here. We started out mostly meeting each other in our ward. Then the husbands found other guys at school that they clicked with easily, which brought in some other wives to the group as well. Ultimately we ended up with a group of 10 couples who have been together through these 4 years! These people are such a great support to Ryan and I. We've learned from each one of them and have been so grateful to know them and share these crazy years of medical school together. There have been MANY parties, BBQs, babysitting swaps, weekend trips, meetings in Utah, play dates, park days, Priesthood blessings, all kinds of service given to each other, dinners taken to each other, and many, many other great experiences we've had together. What would we ever have done without these awesome people?
On Friday the 16th, all of the students who were matching into MD residencies found out what programs they matched into. Ryan and a couple others had previously matched in the DO system, and one of our friends is in the Army and matched through that system. So last friday was FINALLY when we could find out where everybody else was going. We're so proud of all the guys for matching. :)
Robert,
Josh, Ryan, Nephi, Jacob, Chris
Landon, Jordan, Nate, Paul
Congrats again to all of them and their wives! Because let's face it - they couldn't have done it without the women-folk. Here is the list of the locations and specialties among the group:
*Turners: Columbus, Ohio (pediatrics)
*Dekkers: Fort Collins, Colorado (family medicine)
*Reynders: Kansas City, Kansas (neurology)
*Stephensons: Fresno, California (internal medicine)
*Redds: Oahu, Hawaii (pediatrics - Army)
*Karrens: Dayton, Ohio (ophthalmology)
*Mortensens: Dayton, Ohio (radiology)
*Dunlavys: Des Moines, Iowa (general surgery)
*Larsens: Tampa, Florida (pediatrics)
*Larsons: Iowa City, Iowa (anesthesiology)
That night we all got babysitters for our kids and met at Caesar's Palace at Max Brenner. Aside from the two youngest babies being there, this was the very first time we've all been together for a date night with no kids. It was so awesome!!! It's too bad it took us years to make it happen, but we saved it for the most special night: celebrating matching together. Thank you to all the babysitters for helping make it happen - - especially Lisa and Hannah Casey for watching Grace for us.
Dinner was really yummy! Ryan and I shared a panini sandwich and waffle fries and then shared an A-MAZING chocolate fondue dessert. I was very happy with my dark chocolate fondue and Ryan preferred the caramel in the middle. During dinner, we were seated in one super long table of 20 which was kind of a bummer, but we enjoyed switching seats and being able to chat with everyone. The guys ended up all at one end and the women at the other - of course. :)
I love these ladies. I've sung their praises over and over on this blog, but here are a few things I love about each one (in order of rows, left to right in the photo):
Paige Reynders: She taught me to make bows for Grace, let me spend countless hours at her house during first year before I had Grace, has been the best person to complain to about having one car through school (since they dealt with the same issue), and has lived the nearest to our apartment. We've swapped many forgotten ingredients with each other! We've also laughed about how I'm a lot like her husband and she's a lot like mine. :)
Casie Dekker: This girl makes me feel so loved and appreciated. She is so easy to talk to and laugh with - and usually it's me doing the laughing at the hilarious/sometimes awkward things she says. haha I just love her. She's always there for me.
Marci Mortenson: She is so SMART about so many things. She makes me want to be a better photographer like her, a better mom like her, and a completely genuine friend like her. All I can say is the people in Dayton are very lucky to have her!
Melanie Redd: She has been my rock, my sister, my daughter's second-mom, and my shoulder to cry on. Her testimony, strength, and positivity are just some of the things I admire about her. Her desire to be the best mom and wife and homemaker rub off on me every time I'm with her.
Robyn Larson: This girl knows everything there is to know about cakes. She's incredible! She's also always so willing to help out with anything anyone needs. Ryan and I have looked up to the Larsons the entire time we've known them and are blessed to have them as examples to us.
Emily Stephenson: She is the queen of Pinterest and finds the neatest things. But she actually puts into motion the ideas she finds, which usually benefits us all too. I have loved our Busy Bag exchanges, party ideas, kids stuff, book club meetings, and all the neat baby shower themes she has found.
Erica Karren: This girl is such an awesome mom (to twins and a baby!). She's so REAL and down-to-earth and it's refreshing to have conversations with her. Truth be told, she's a little bit hick (in a good way) haha. Ryan always tells me to call her anytime I ask him what cut of meat we should get for recipes, or how my steaks "should be" cooked.
Rachele Larsen: This girl is so laid-back and easy-going. When I'm around her I feel like everything will work out and there are no worries at all. :) She is quite the world traveler and book reader, so I love hearing her opinion on things because she sees things in a way I wouldn't have thought of before.
Alisha Dunlavy: She is hands-down one of the best moms I know. Her nurturing and caring way are things I want to develop in my own life! She has always been completely genuine and sweet to me. I always know I have a friend in her and she never makes me question where I stand with her. She helped me so much while I was on bed rest even though she had just had her 3rd baby and her husband was in and out of town at the time.
Thanks, everyone, for a really great night!! We love you guys.


No comments:
Post a Comment