When I say "long", I mean that in the best way! Ryan had thursday-sunday off last weekend and it was so perfect that it fell during a holiday. We felt so blessed. It was honestly one of the best few days we have had as a family in quite awhile.
On thursday the weather was in the 50s and so nice! We played in the front yard with our neighbors and had a little snowball fight in the backyard with our poor, melting snowman (which you saw in the photos 2 posts ago).For dinner that evening we went as a family to Smashburger with a buy-one-get-one coupon. I think I've said this before, and I know it sounds cheesy, but there is something so special about being able to pile in the car as a family, and go out and do something (whether it's get a treat, go out to dinner, do something new). I'm sure it feels that way because those moments are few and far between for us these days... and also because we can't afford to do those kinds of things often. But on thursday evening as we drove to dinner together, my heart was so full! It feels like we are a "normal" family when we have moments like that. I think sometimes I feel like between the super tight budget and the small amount of time we get as a family, it can feel suffocating. Like I'm trying to keep my head above water and "survive". Which is unfortunate, I know... and I know there is room for improvement in my attitude. But that's the best I can do to explain it. :) It was a fun evening together.
On friday I ran some errands kid-less... only to discover in the check out line of a store that I had forgotten my wallet at home (which I NEVER do). Total bummer and waste of gas and time. :( We went to a park for a little while that afternoon with some friends but it was a bit chilly and windy. We had pizza that evening like usual. We love homemade-pizza-fridays! I also took some photos that day of Grace's beautiful curls! Her hair is too long again and a total mullet (which I can hide sometimes when it's nice and curly). But it seems like her sweet curls look the best when it's at this stage...
That night, after putting the kids to bed, Ryan and I went on a date. I had a few things I wanted to look for at Easton Mall so we went up there and walked/shopped around for a couple hours. We both had a sweet tooth so we each got a treat: Graeter's and Cinnabon. It was really nice to get out and enjoy some time together!

Saturday morning we joined a big group of friends for brunch and an easter egg hunt. It was so much fun and we all had a great time! Ryan and I were trying remember the last time we did something like this (a family activity together with friends, outside of ward parties) and we could only remember a Memorial Day party the first monday we lived here. Almost a year ago! That's so different than med school days haha. It was just so nice to have Ryan there with us for the party that morning.
The kids were excited about getting their {empty} baskets.
Quick photo op with the timer... which surprisingly turned out awesome!
In the Parsons' backyard.
Grace with sweet Hannah Lange, one of Grace's idols. ;) We will miss her when she heads off to college in a few months!
The moms stayed at the Parsons' for an extra little bit while all the dads took the plastic eggs to a local park and hid them. Then we all met up for an awesome egg hunt. The dads did a great job. :)
Ryan teaching Logan the ropes...
Grace was beyond excited to find the eggs, but as soon as she was let loose she seemed really timid about it. Even if she saw an egg she would need a little encouragement to go and get it.
The kids were exhausted after running around in the sun for 2 hours! It was awesome. I bribed Grace with THREE of her candy-filled eggs if she took a nap and guess what... SHE ACTUALLY DID! It has been many months (6??) since she took an afternoon nap. It was incredible. I have tried bribery before but the stars were all aligned that day I guess.
After naps, Ryan was feeling the urge to build something or do some yard work outside (haha I love him and his inability to sit still sometimes). So we hung out outside while he worked on some projects.
Logan will usually whine while in the swing and isn't a huge fan... unless I stand in the way of his swing and he "kicks" me. Then he will laugh and squeal!
Snacks and a show to relax after being in the sun and playing hard.
After dinner, we dyed some eggs, although the dyes we got were crappy and all the eggs turned out either yellow or pink.
But this girl didn't care and had fun!
This little man didn't love it though... Next year.
That evening was the General Young Women Broadcast which our YW group watched together at the ward, along with our sister ward. It was a wonderful meeting and message, and I am looking forward to General Conference this weekend!Sunday morning was rainy and chilly, and Ryan had to be at the ward at 7am to prepare for the Bishopric meeting. I got the kids up and ready for the day and they got some small surprises in their Easter baskets.
The kids would NOT sit still for a good photo and my camera settings were weird, so I'm disappointed with this photo... but you get the idea. :) Grace got a cute new dress. Logan was wearing some "new" hand-me-downs from his cuz, which we are grateful for! I was wearing my new blue dress and Ryan had a tie that matched perfectly (he insisted on matching as much as absolutely possibly that day, haha). There are only two times I allow us to all match so much - Christmas and Easter. :)
After church, we did lunch, had naps, and then did a small easter egg hunt with the eggs we dyed the night before. I had told Grace first thing that morning that the Easter Bunny had hidden the eggs while we were sleeping, but we couldn't see them or look for them until after naps... She didn't mind and is always excited about any little surprises. It doesn't matter if they don't make any sense, haha. She actually took ANOTHER nap that day, so she was in a good mood.
For dinner I made a crockpot ham, Chantilly Potatoes, cooked carrots, fresh pineapple, and this amazing hot fudge pudding dessert with ice cream (yes, Melskitchencafe is like my own personal cookbook). It was a really great dinner and the kids actually ate some of everything!
I almost forgot to post about our packages the Grandparents sent. My parents sent the kids cute stuffed animal balls, Ryan some of his favorite candy, and me some cute easter things for the kitchen.
Ryan's parents sent us some cash for a treat (which we used on our date, so thank you Bob and Stacy!), and some art books for the kids. Thank you for the fun surprises, Goates and Turners!!



















2 comments:
I'm so glad he was able to be home for a holiday weekend! And that the weather was mostly good! :)
1. The way you described family time when going to Smashburger....I hear ya. It is EXACTLY how I feel too.
2. The family picture of you all on the couch smiling and cute with bright colors...frame that. So cute.
3. I also love the picture of Ryan holding Logan's hand and helping him at the egg hunt. Very adorable. I'm a sucker for dad's holding their child(rens) hands in photos.
4. I'm so glad you got a date! We haven't had one since right before Christmas! I'm about to hire a babysitter, but then it's a matter of what night to go....we are so limited and would need the stars to align right for us to both be free.
5. Looks like you had a very wonderful Easter and I'm so glad Ryan was off...Josh had the night shift on Saturday night, so he was dragging his feet all day on Easter, but oh well. We made the bets of it. But I kind of feel like I need to live vicariously through your Easter weekend because it was awesome! :)
Post a Comment